Practice Makes Progress

This year I decided that I would try having my own blog.  I thought that maybe I’d explore ideas about how our school was transforming under new leadership.  I thought about sharing books with families or posting themed collections of books that could bring classroom discussions home if families chose to do that .  I thought that perhaps I would share resources to grow understanding about various social issues.  I do some of that in the classroom, but am sensitive of differing family values and choices.  How much should I talk about the refugee crisis or poverty or the Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the UN?  I wanted to share and allow families to make choices.

That was my thinking in August, but then I got cold feet.  What I’ve discovered is that blogging makes me nervous – I think of things I could post all the time, but putting them down feels risky.  I’ve talked to Mrs. Wyman about what I am learning about this process.  She said I should just do it.

Today, on this second snow day in a row (UGH!), I read this post on a teacher’s blog that I follow.  It’s about teachers as learners – in this case these teachers are learning about blogging.  At the end of the post, Megan, a teacher in this project, pretty much described everything I’ve been feeling.  She wrote about it eloquently and reminded me of what I need to do.  Practice!  Many years ago I told my cousin that I just couldn’t seem to capture light in my paintings.  “I just can’t do it,” I said.  He asked, “How many times did you try it?  Once, right?”  He was right, I had only tried once.  How silly of me.  Of course I couldn’t do it the first time.  Of course I’d need to practice and experiment over and over and over and then some.

I realize the same is true with blogging.  If I truly want to find my voice, I’ll have to explore, experiment and practice.  With time, perseverance and patience perhaps I’ll find my way.

4 thoughts on “Practice Makes Progress

• Thank you Izzy. You are very kind. I keep practicing and making progress. I try to create a new picture every week during the summer. I don’t paint or draw very much during the school year, but I like to. It is relaxing and challenging at the same time. Mrs. Eaves

1. Mrs. Eaves,
    You are an inspiration to so many and found great advice – the same I imagine you often share with your students: You need to do things more than once prior to expecting success when trying new things. I applaud your continued efforts to try new things all the time. Yep, definitely an inspiration!
    Ms. Schmidt

• Ms Schmidt
      Thank you. Your comment has inspired me to plan and create my next post – teachers need to do valued professional work. It also helped me realize that sending your voice into the void is hard. Kids need comments. Thank you so much for validating their book posts. They were stoked to read them!

Hope you’re well soon.
      Mrs Eaves