Vacation Memories

My vacation was full of small ordinary moments. There was nothing anyone could call sensational but each one made me appreciate each part of my family. I had time at home with mom and dad and my sister Beth. We remembered the “the old days.” We laughed about Christmas night at Aunt Muriel’s and crazy days of runner sleds on the crusty snow in Grandpa’s back fields. My cousin dropped off poinsettias from the family greenhouse. There were five different colors – one for each of us. We brought the red-flecked one home.

The next day we got to see James. He was in awe of his Christmas morning abundance. I think he’s still getting used to everything that fills up his play spaces and room.

A few days later as many of the Eaves family as could make it, came over for feasting, a gift swap and an enormous bonfire.

My favorite vacation memory though, is playing Scrabble with my sister. We don’t see each other very often, but when we do we often fit in a game. My sister’s nearly three years older than me. There were no other kids around so if we wanted to play something more than Solitaire, we played with each other. My memory of things is that I NEVER WON anything. Whether we played Rummy 500, Chinese Checkers, Chess or Scrabble, Beth won. That was especially true when we played Scrabble!

But here we were playing and laughing and struggling to come up with the longest words possible. We’re “a little bit” competitive when we play. We don’t necessarily gloat but, hey, if you use all your letters in one word and get a fifty-point bonus, well it’s worth repeating. I didn’t win this time either, but the score was close. There were still comments of, “I don’t think you spell that word like that, Brenda”, but it was okay. I didn’t feel embarrassed anymore about not being able to spell or not knowing big words. I didn’t worry about not being able to claim the double or triple score spots. We were about equal in that. We just had fun. We had fun playing and we had fun remembering. And we agreed we’d play again in March when I saw her on her birthday. We’ll take out the pencil and paper we’ve been keeping score on for the last 35 years and we’ll play just for the fun of playing because now that’s what we do.

6 thoughts on “Vacation Memories

• Thank you Mady. That is very kind. I am glad you like being in 3E as much as I love having you as part of our class.
      love,
      Mrs. Eaves